Books!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My new friend

As many of you know this summer I am working at the Library at Wake two days a week. For right now in order to this I must depart from Lexington at 7 am in Melody who has no radio and I am driving half asleep in silence. At first I dreaded these mornings, I would worry that I am too tired to make it, scared that it's not safe. However, I shortly learned that this time to myself is precious. I can think, pray, sing, talk to myself etc whatever I want to do during the 40 minute drive to Winston. However my favorite part comes just minutes before I get to school. Once I finally get off the interstate, I have to go through a few stoplights. At one stoplight there's a man selling newspapers there. I used to not look at him (at least when he was looking) in fear that he would try to sell me a newspaper. However, I decided to start waving to him. I mean the guy's job is to stand in the middle of a street in Winston Salem...pretty dangerous, and i'm sure he gets a lot of dirty looks so why not be nice? Anyways, I know nothing about this man except that he sells newspapers and that he likes the Celtics (he wears his green jersey everyday they have a game)! Despite the fact that I don't even know his name, I feel like he and I are friends. This morning he actually smiled and pointed at me (I guess because it had been awhile since I drove by). I think this is really neat. This got me to thinking...we know nothing about each other yet his smile and wave encourages me and I would like to think mine does the same for him...this whole situation reminds me of a Danny Gokey song..Here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjIKtGsuTc

It's really a great song and makes you think. I challenge all of you to listen to it, I mean REALLY listen to it and think about the meaning. SO many people are hurting in this world today and if we could just show them even a tiny bit of love this could help them.

1 comment:

NAP said...

I love you Hannah, this post shows how big of a heart you have! You are so incredibly kind and I hope that I can have half the heart that you have!